Help Renew Federal Unemployment Insurance for 2013:
If You Are Receiving Federal or State Unemployment Insurance, Tell Us Your Story
Right now, more than 2 million unemployed Americans are facing an abrupt cut-off of federal unemployment insurance between Christmas and New Year's if Congress fails to renew the current Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) benefits program before it expires December 31st. Another 2.8 million currently receiving regular state unemployment benefits will not have access, if needed, to those federal EUC extensions in 2013 -- unless Congress acts.
If you are unemployed, looking for work and currently receiving unemployment insurance, your stories are needed for our campaign to renew federal EUC benefits. If you are now receiving EUC benefits, and would be completely cut off if Congress fails to act, we need your stories. If you are receiving regular state UI benefits and would lose access to any federal EUC extensions, we need your stories too.
Please share your story with us using the form below. Your stories will be crucial to support our campaign to renew unemployment insurance -- on our Unemployedworkers.org website, with Members of Congress, in our advocacy on Capitol Hill, and also with press and the media.
In addition to the basic information below, please include information on the following points in your story:
* The month and year were you laid off, and when you began receiving unemployment benefits.
* Whether you are receiving federal or state benefits. Also please use the button selections for Type of Unemployment Insurance below.
* The kind of work you had been doing before you were laid off, how long you had previously been working, and description of your job search.
* How has unemployment insurance helped sustain you and your family, and maintain basic necessities during a difficult time to search for work?
* What kind of hardships would you and your family experience if you were cut off of federal unemployment benefits or lose access to them if you needed them in 2013?
* If you are open to being contacted by a media representative, please let us know that too and include your phone number so we can follow up with you for further information. Keeping the stories and voices of real unemployed people in the media helps immensely in ongoing efforts to build on the public's support for unemployment insurance renewal.
* Please upload a photo of yourself, or of you and your family, to go with your story submission. Putting faces with peoples' stories helps to personalize this critically important issue. The uploader accepts .jpg and .png file formats. Just click "browse" to select a photo to upload from your computer.
* And share this page with others! Use the blue square Share button under the headline on this page to share via email and on social media. And use the Twitter and Facebook buttons to share with your followers and friends!